Cooking chicken in an Instant Pot Air Fryer is a quick and convenient way to prepare this versatile protein. Whether you’re making chicken wings, chicken breasts, or a whole chicken, the Instant Pot Air Fryer can deliver delicious results in minutes.
The Instant Pot Air Fryer offers the benefits of pressure cooking and air frying in one appliance, making it a versatile tool for busy home cooks. With its rapid cooking capabilities, it can drastically reduce the cooking time for chicken while still ensuring that it’s tender, juicy, and full of flavor.
But how long should you cook chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer? The cooking time will vary depending on the size and cut of the chicken, as well as your desired level of doneness. However, here are some general guidelines to help you get started.
How to Cook Chicken in Instant Pot Air Fryer: The Ultimate Guide
Cooking chicken in an Instant Pot Air Fryer is not only convenient, but it also results in juicy and delicious chicken every time. Whether you prefer fried chicken, grilled chicken, or even crispy chicken wings, the Instant Pot Air Fryer can do it all. In this ultimate guide, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of cooking chicken in an Instant Pot Air Fryer to ensure success in every dish.
Step 1: Preparing the Chicken
Before cooking the chicken, it is important to properly prepare it. Start by washing the chicken thoroughly and patting it dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Trim off any excess fat or unwanted parts, such as giblets. If desired, you can also marinate the chicken for added flavor.
Step 2: Seasoning the Chicken
Next, season the chicken with your preferred spices and seasonings. You can use a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, or any other seasonings that complement your dish. Make sure to evenly coat the chicken with the seasoning for maximum flavor.
Step 3: Preheating the Instant Pot Air Fryer
Before placing the chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer, make sure to preheat it to the desired temperature. This will ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and thoroughly. Follow the instructions provided with your specific Instant Pot Air Fryer model to preheat it correctly.
Step 4: Cooking the Chicken
Once the Instant Pot Air Fryer is preheated, carefully place the seasoned chicken in the air frying basket. Make sure not to overcrowd the basket to allow for proper circulation of hot air. Close the lid and set the cooking time and temperature according to the recipe you are following. Depending on the size and thickness of the chicken, cooking times may vary. As a general guideline, boneless chicken breasts typically need 8-10 minutes, while chicken thighs may need 12-15 minutes.
During the cooking process, you can flip the chicken halfway through for more even browning and crispiness. Use tongs or a spatula to turn the chicken pieces gently. Avoid overcrowding or stacking the chicken to ensure even cooking and browning.
Step 5: Checking for Doneness
After the cooking time is complete, check the chicken for doneness. Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption. If the chicken is not fully cooked, you can continue cooking for an additional few minutes.
Once the chicken is cooked to perfection, carefully remove it from the Instant Pot Air Fryer using kitchen tongs or a spatula. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving to ensure that the juices redistribute and the meat remains tender.
Now that you know the ultimate guide for cooking chicken in an Instant Pot Air Fryer, you can enjoy a variety of flavorful and succulent chicken dishes in no time. Whether you are cooking for yourself or a crowd, the Instant Pot Air Fryer is a versatile kitchen appliance that will take your chicken recipes to the next level. Happy cooking!
Preparing the Chicken
Before cooking the chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer, it is important to prepare it properly. Follow these steps:
- Start by cleaning the chicken thoroughly under cold running water. Make sure to remove any excess fat, feathers, or dirt.
- Pat the chicken dry using paper towels. This will help ensure a crispy skin when using the air fryer function.
- If desired, season the chicken with your preferred spices and seasonings. This could include salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, or any other seasoning of your choice.
- It is recommended to let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to enhance the flavors. However, if you are short on time, you can proceed to the next step without marinating.
- Brush or spray the chicken with a small amount of oil. This will help promote browning and prevent the chicken from sticking to the air fryer basket.
- If using bone-in chicken, remove the skin to reduce the overall cooking time and to allow the seasonings to penetrate the meat better.
Once the chicken is properly prepared, you can proceed to cook it in the Instant Pot Air Fryer using the appropriate settings and cooking time.
Seasoning the Chicken
Before cooking the chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer, it is important to season it properly to enhance the flavors and ensure a delicious outcome. Here are some tips on how to season your chicken:
1. Choose the right seasonings:
Depending on your preferences, you can use a variety of seasonings to add flavor to your chicken. Some popular options include:
- Salt and pepper: A staple for seasoning poultry, salt and pepper provide a basic and delicious flavor.
- Garlic powder: Adds a hint of savory flavor to the chicken.
- Onion powder: Enhances the overall taste of the chicken.
- Paprika: Adds a subtle smoky flavor and a vibrant color to the chicken.
- Italian seasoning: A blend of herbs like basil, oregano, and thyme that adds a Mediterranean touch to the chicken.
- Cajun seasoning: If you’re looking for some heat and a bit of Southern flavor, Cajun seasoning is a great choice.
2. Pat the chicken dry:
Before seasoning the chicken, make sure to pat it dry with a paper towel. This helps the seasonings adhere better to the chicken and promotes even cooking.
3. Rub the seasonings on the chicken:
Generously sprinkle and rub the seasonings of your choice on both sides of the chicken. Make sure to coat the chicken evenly for maximum flavor.
Note: If you prefer a milder taste, you can season the chicken with just salt, pepper, and garlic powder. However, feel free to experiment with different seasonings to suit your taste buds.
Once the chicken is properly seasoned, you can proceed with cooking it in your Instant Pot Air Fryer. The seasoning will infuse the chicken with delicious flavors, making it a mouthwatering dish that can be enjoyed by everyone!
Setting Up the Instant Pot Air Fryer
Before you begin cooking chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer, you’ll need to set it up properly. Follow these steps to ensure a successful cooking experience:
1. Unboxing and Checking the Contents
When you receive your Instant Pot Air Fryer, carefully unbox it and ensure that all the included accessories are present. The typical package should include the air fryer lid, inner cooking pot, air fryer basket, and a user manual. Make sure everything is in good condition before proceeding.
2. Familiarize Yourself with the Controls
Take some time to read the user manual and understand the various functions and controls of the Instant Pot Air Fryer. Familiarize yourself with the buttons, knobs, and digital display. This will help you navigate through the settings easily when cooking chicken or any other dish.
3. Cleaning the Instant Pot Air Fryer
Before using the air fryer for the first time, it’s important to clean it thoroughly. Remove all packaging materials and wipe down the inner pot, basket, and the exterior of the air fryer lid with warm soapy water. Rinse and dry them properly before reassembling.
4. Assembling the Instant Pot Air Fryer
Once the air fryer lid, inner pot, and air fryer basket are clean and dry, assemble them back into the Instant Pot Air Fryer. Make sure they are properly aligned and securely fit into place to ensure safe and efficient cooking.
5. Placing the Instant Pot Air Fryer
Choose a level and heat-resistant surface to place your Instant Pot Air Fryer. Make sure there’s enough space around it for proper ventilation and air circulation. Avoid placing it near flammable materials or on an uneven surface that could cause accidents.
By following these setup steps, you’ll be ready to start cooking delicious chicken in your Instant Pot Air Fryer.
Cooking the Chicken
Once you have prepared the chicken and marinated it, it’s time to cook it in the Instant Pot Air Fryer. Follow these steps to ensure your chicken is cooked to perfection:
- Place the marinated chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer basket.
- Close the lid of the Air Fryer and set the cooking time according to the recipe you are following. It is important to cook chicken thoroughly to ensure it is safe to eat. The cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces.
- Set the temperature as per the recipe instructions. Cooking the chicken at the correct temperature will help to achieve a crispy exterior and juicy interior.
- Once the cooking time and temperature are set, press the start button to begin the cooking process.
- During cooking, it is important to not overcrowd the Air Fryer. This allows the hot air to circulate around the chicken pieces and cook them evenly.
- Check the chicken for doneness using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C) for chicken to be fully cooked. It is recommended to check the temperature at the thickest part of the chicken piece.
- Once the chicken is cooked, carefully remove it from the Air Fryer using tongs or a spatula. Place it on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving. This helps to seal in the juices and ensures tender and flavorful chicken.
Now that your chicken is cooked, you can enjoy it as it is or use it in various recipes. Whether you prefer crispy chicken wings or tender chicken breasts, the Instant Pot Air Fryer can help you achieve delicious results every time.
Checking the Chicken’s Doneness
Once the cooking time is up, it’s important to check the chicken for doneness to ensure that it is fully cooked and safe to eat. There are a few ways to check if the chicken is cooked through.
One method is to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. The USDA recommends cooking chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C) for safe consumption. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken, making sure to avoid bone or fat. If the temperature reads 165°F (75°C) or higher, the chicken is done and can be safely removed from the Instant Pot Air Fryer.
Another way to check if the chicken is done is by cutting into it and looking for any signs of pinkness. The juices should run clear, indicating that the chicken is fully cooked. If there are any traces of pink or the juices appear pinkish, the chicken needs more cooking time.
It’s important to note that cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces. Thicker cuts may require a longer cooking time, while smaller pieces may cook more quickly. It may be necessary to adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
|Instant Pot Air Fryer Time
|Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
|Chicken Thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
It’s always better to slightly undercook the chicken and then cook it a bit more if needed, rather than overcooking it. Overcooked chicken can become dry and tough. Remember to handle the chicken with caution when checking the doneness as it may be hot.
What is an Instant Pot Air Fryer?
An Instant Pot Air Fryer is a kitchen appliance that combines the functions of an Instant Pot and an Air Fryer. It can pressure cook, slow cook, sauté, steam, and also air fry food.
How does the Instant Pot Air Fryer work?
The Instant Pot Air Fryer works by circulating hot air around the food to cook it. It uses convection technology to create a crispy outer layer while maintaining the moisture inside.
Can I cook chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer. It is a versatile appliance that can cook chicken in various ways, including pressure cooking, slow cooking, or air frying.
How long should I cook chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer?
The cooking time for chicken in the Instant Pot Air Fryer depends on the method you choose and the size of the chicken. For pressure cooking, it usually takes about 8-10 minutes per pound. For air frying, it may take around 20-25 minutes for boneless chicken breasts.