Cross line lasers Self-levelling project horizontal and vertical lines onto walls, ceilings and floors. And it is only through the self-levelling function that the laser lines are projected perfectly straight onto the wall.
If this function were not available, you would have to adjust the laser laboriously by hand. In addition, you can rarely align it as well as a self-levelling function could.
However, such a function also has its limits. You can find out what they are in this text.
Top 5 Best Self Leveling Lasers
What does a self-levelling function do?
In simple terms, the self-levelling function automatically aligns the laser lines. With a cross-line laser, it does not matter whether the line is horizontal or vertical, both are always aligned exactly straight by this function.
However, the self-levelling function can only do this to a certain extent. For example, most devices can compensate for a slant of +- 5 degrees. In case of a higher inclination, a warning is given, which is realised either by a warning tone or a flashing laser line.
This function achieves a measuring accuracy of +/- 3mm per metre. However, this value always varies a little from unit to unit. Such a measuring accuracy cannot be achieved with manual measuring aids.
How does self-levelling work?
Self-levelling cross-line lasers bring the laser unit into alignment with the help of a pendulum system. To ensure that the levelling process does not take too long, the free-swinging pendulum is damped by a magnet.
The laser diodes responsible for projecting the laser lines are attached to this pendulum. Thus, the old technique of the pendulum is still used today in our laser measuring units.
However, if the levelling range of +-5 degrees is exceeded, the pendulum rests against the wall of the housing and can therefore always roll back and forth a little.
This makes it impossible to measure accurately because the laser lines shift a little with every vibration. The only remedy is a locking function or, as with some Bosch cross-line lasers, a clever design that holds the pendulum against the inner wall of the housing.
Best Self Leveling Lasers
Huepar 902CG Self-Leveling 360-Degree Cross Line Laser Level with Pulse Mode, Switchable Horizontal and Vertical Green Beam Laser Tool, Magnetic Pivoting Base Included
- 360-DEGREE VERTICAL and 360-DEGREE HORIZONTAL LINE- With its ultra bright 360-degree vertical and 360-degree horizontal green beams the 902CG Laser Level provides all-around leveling coverage with accuracy of ±1/9 Inch at 33 Feet and a maximum working range of 130 feet, enabling you to work in different parts of a large room simultaneously.
- GREEN LASER UNIT- This self-leveling cross line laser level adopt the latest LD blue-green laser unit, it is at least twice brighter than red lasers utilizing the same power source. The bright 360° laser lines allows the user to project a laser reference line around the room with accuracy to quickly establish level, enabling users to work in different parts of a room simultaneously.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL MODE- One button operation makes it easy to project lines together or independently (cross line, vertical and 360-degree horizontal). With our smart pendulum system, the pendulum locks when the level is switched off. Simply, hold the top button 2 seconds to start manual mode, letting you project lines in any position or angle.
- OUTDOOR PULSE MODE & DURABLE- When the pulse mode is turned on, laser tool can be used with a laser detector for working in even brighter environments or at greater working distances. This laser level is covered by TPR soft rubber for shock resistant, IP54 waterproof and dustproof, shockproof, wear resistant, impact resistance, cold and high temperature.
- WARRANTY & KITS INCLUDE- Customer can enjoy 12 months limited warranty but up to 24 months longer warranty if you become a royal customer through the product registration (Offered on the package box). Huepar 902CG Self-Leveling Laser, Easy-to-Adjust magnetic base, Target plate card, Carry pouch, AA batteries, Instruction Manual.
Laser Level, Huepar 3D Cross Line 12 Lines Self-Leveling Laser Level with Pulse Mode, 3 x 360 ° Green Beam Three-Plane Leveling and Alignment Laser Tool IP54 Shockproof with 360° Magnetic Base&Battery
- 【FULL LAYOUT WITH 3 X 360 LINES LASERS】: One 360 Degree horizontal and two 360 Degree vertical planes enable users to cover the floor, wall, ceiling all around the room. Two vertical lines cross at 90°angles makes user quickly visualize and square the layout. For three planes, flat surface laser windows can project lasers closing to the wall at a minimum 10mm distance which makes it easier and more precise for users to do any paneling jobs. Note: GF360G comes with replaceable laser window.
- 【SWITCHABLE LINE LASER & REPLACE-ABLE WINDOW】: The horizontal and two vertical 360 Degree laser lines can be switched individually that you can choose whatever you want to work with vertical, horizontal or all laser lines simultaneously. With our smart pendulum system, this laser level self levels and indicates out-of-level condition while pendulum unlocked. Once pendulum locked, it switches to manual mode to lock lines for use at any angle. All the laser window can be removed and replaced.
- 【GREEN LASER & OUTDOOR PULSE MODE】: This laser level projects green beam laser which is 4 times brighter than standard red beams with a working range up to 45m with accuracy of ±3mm/10m. Besides brighter green beam, an outdoor pulse mode extends the laser range up to 60m with Huepar Line Laser Receiver(Asin:B07GVC2XD9) in bright-light or outdoor conditions. GF360G laser level makes job easier in brighter and larger space working conditions.
- 【CONVENIENT USB CHARGING FUNCTION】: With USB charging function, users can charge this laser level tool with any USB power supply device even if taking out the battery from the laser level. Super large capacity rechargeable battery can last for 6 hours with all lasers on. The battery enjoy 2 years free replacement guarantee. This laser also offers 1/4"-20 and 5/8"-11 mounting threads for temporarily fastening in place or being fixed on tripod.
- 【DURABLE DESIGN & WARRANTY】: IP54 water/dust-proof ensures you work well under hazardous working conditions. Protected by TPR soft rubber on all sides makes the laser level shock resistant, wear resistant and impact resistant perfectly; It comes with 12 months limited warranty but up to 24 months warranty if become a royal customer through product registration (Offered on the package box).
Laser Level, Detlev Pro Cross Line Laser Self Leveling Laser Level with 3 Modes Vertical/Horizontal/Cross Beam with Flexible Bracket Carrying Pouch
- Laser Level Green Beam: Up to 2X brighter than standard red beams, which provide better visibility, boast long range. 30m working range,which ideal for paving tiles, installing photo, door, window, or furniture carpentry, hanging wallpaper, etc
- 3 In 1 Laser Level: The Self-leveling laser level projects bright horizontal and vertical lines that can be used independently or as a cross to meet your different needs
- Dual Modes & Self-leveling: Allows laser tool to self-level while also indicating out-of-level condition to help ensure an accurate measuring. Self-Levelling Range: 4¡ã¡À1¡ã
- High Accuracy and Durable: Accurate to 0.3mm/10m in levelling applications. IP54 waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, wear resistant, impact resistance, cold and high temperature
- Flexible Mounting Device: Universal mount with 1/4¡± thread provides a rotating 360¡ã, which easily attaches to a variety of surfaces to extend the utility of the tool
CIGMAN Green Laser Level, 3x360 Self Leveling Laser Level, Switchable 3D Laser Line 30M (Up to 50M with Detector), Rechargeable Battery Built-in, Rotary Stand, Remote Control, Magnetic Base
- 【High Visibility】: The green laser level line is 4x brightness than the red beam, which can provide a working distance of up to 100ft, available outdoors. Safety level-Class II,
- 【3x360° Full Layout】: 1x360° HORIZONTAL LINE & 2x360° VERTICAL LINES cover all around the room. Each button on this laser level corresponds to a single laser line, you can easily choose to turn on/off any laser line.
- 【Remote Control & Rechargeable】: With the remote control, your alignment job becomes simple and fast. Type-C charging saves you the trouble of changing batteries
- 【Self-Leveling & Manual Mode】: Unlock the pendulum, the laser level will self-level within 4°(otherwise the laser will keep flashing). Lock the pendulum to switch to the manual mode, meet your alignment needs from different angles
- 【What You Get】: 1x CM-701 Laser Level Tool, 1x Portable Bag, 1x Magnetic "L" Base, 1x Mini Tripod Base, 1x Remote Control, 1x Laser Target Plate, 1x Type-C cable, 1x User Manual. Combined with Amazon's excellent delivery service, we provide a 36-Month after-sale service, lifetime technical support. Please feel free to contact us if you have any concerns
Huepar M-9011G Green Laser Level Cross Line Self Leveling Large Fan Angle 110 Horizontal + 110 Vertical Cross Green Beam Laser Lines Class 2 Standard with Magnetic Pivoting Base + Laser Target Plate
- 【BRAND NEW GREEN BEAM】 - Huepar's green beam laser use lastest Germany technology, which is twice brighter than red laser under same power source, but NOT recommended for outdoor use. One button control make it easily to project a bright green cross line on 110 degrees large fan angle to assist your leveling jobs.
- 【PORTABLE AND HANDY】- With its soft-grip, light weight and PALM-SIZED design, the 9011G is the most handy and professional laser tool you can think of to carry out work for all trades from drop ceiling installation, lighting fixtures, photo frames aligning and wall tiling down to floor tiling etc. A real dream home improvement tool comes in handy, but NOT recommended for outdoor use.
- 【FINE POSITIONING】- Projects a laser cross with an accuracy of ±3mm at 10m and full brightness for optimal visibility; Self-leveling time less than 3 seconds; 1/4 -20 thread mounts allows you to use it with a tripod (not included) and adjust its height easily to make measuring flexible and stable.
- 【SELF & MANUAL LEVELING】- Unlock the pendulum, Self-leveling Mode is enabled. The laser cross line beam will blink continuously when the tool is beyond self leveling range 3.5° ± 0.5°. Once pendulum locked, it switches to Manual Mode to lock lines for use at any angle. Ideal for installing lighting fixtures, hanging pictures, wall tiling or floor tiling, etc.
- 【MAGNETIC PIVOTING BASE】- Strong Magnetic L mount with tripod thread can attaches the laser to any steels easily, turning around 360-degree depending on your needs.
The locking function | The most important feature of a self-levelling cross-line laser
Without a locking function, it is very complicated or even impossible to measure slopes precisely. Simple devices with a self-levelling function are only designed to project laser crosses straight onto the opposite wall. Only with the locking function is it possible to measure slopes precisely. By the way, the same applies to models without a self-levelling function; these are virtually always “fixed”.
The locking function fixes the pendulum. This prevents the laser lines from arbitrarily moving back and forth in response to vibrations when measuring slopes. Because if the pendulum cannot swing out, it will never be able to lie still and will always slide back and forth a little. Another advantage arises during transport. By fixing the pendulum in place, damage caused by permanent movement of the pendulum is avoided.
The disadvantages of a self-levelling cross-line laser
- Only +- 5 degrees can be compensated by most devices. Therefore, precise positioning is still necessary.
- If the locking function is missing, it is often not possible to measure slopes precisely.
- Some devices still give warnings even though the locking function is activated.
- Often 20£ more expensive to purchase than “rigid” cross line lasers.
Is it absolutely necessary to have a self-levelling cross-line laser?
Whether a cross-line laser with or without self-levelling is better depends on the intended use. If you are a do-it-yourselfer and regularly carry out surveying work with high precision and a long range, you should opt for a device with this practical additional function, which saves you a lot of work and also saves time.
This is the case, for example, if you are moving into a new house where there is still a lot of renovation work to be done before you are ready to move in.
In the case of simple alignment work, for example when hanging pictures, you can do without a self-levelling function. Hobby jobs and small jobs done quickly also do not necessarily require precise alignment assistance through self-levelling.
In these cases, careful alignment of the tripod is sufficient to achieve good results. Cross-line lasers with this self-levelling function are about 20 pounds more expensive to purchase than models without self-levelling.