After a long bike ride, it is advisable to clean the bike thoroughly and re-oil it. This is because heavy dirt increases the wear of the gearwheels and the ball bearings.
Furthermore, it is not advisable to transport a dirty mountain bike by car. This is because the mud quickly settles in the interior and is difficult to remove.
Furthermore, a dirty bike on the roof is a real risk. This is because small stones often come loose during the ride and can cause damage to the vehicles behind.
A mobile pressure washer under £100 is therefore often recommended for quick and easy cleaning. These are often low-pressure cleaners with a water tank and battery.
All you have to do is get it out of the boot and you can start cleaning straight away. Of course, this also applies when you are at home. No more fetching water or unrolling and rolling up the garden hose. This article tells you what you need to know about these models.
5 Best Pressure Washers under £100
Pressure Washers under £100
Kärcher K 2 Compact Pressure Washer
3 used from £66.03
- Ideal for cleaning delicate surfaces such as car or harder surfaces such as stone and brickwork
- The lightweight design makes the machine easy and convenient to transport
- The integrated suction tube allows detergent to be applied to any surface being cleaned
- Trigger gun, hose and lance can all be stored neatly on the machine
- 2 years Guarantee
Bosch Home and Garden - EasyAquatak 120 High Pressure Washer
7 used from £75.78
- Outstanding 120 bar cleaning performance in a compact, easy to use pressure washer
- Compact, portable design with a broad base for extra stability and storage for all accessories
- Simple push fit connections for quick and easy set up
- Includes variable power and rotary nozzles for deeper cleaning
- The high-pressure detergent nozzle reduces cleaning time by quickly applying the soap
Kärcher K2 Full Control Pressure Washer
1 used from £112.08
- Select the ideal power setting with a simple twist and click of the lance
- Ideal for cleaning delicate surfaces such as car or harder surfaces like stone and brickwork
- The integrated suction tube allows detergent to be applied to any surface being cleaned
- With the quick connect system, the high pressure hose is easy to connect to both the machine and trigger gun
- Trigger gun, hose and lances can all be stored neatly on the machine
Nilfisk C 110 bar 110.7-5 PC X-TRA Compact Pressure Washer for Basic Tasks Outdoor Cleaner with Patio Cleaning Accessory Kit, 1400 W, 240 V, Blue, 440 L/H Water Flow
1 used from £85.03
- Powerful, Lightweight Pressure Washer: This 110 bar max pressure washer handles mildly dirty surfaces up to 25 m2 per hour. Rated power is 1.4 kW
- Compact, Manouverable Size: Included trolley wheels make this portable and easy to stow and store in your house or garage
- Ideal for Many Home Cleaning Purposes: Use on auto and car, patio, grills, outdoor furniture and a variety of surfaces such as wood decking, tile, stone, metal and more
- Multiple Nozzle Choices: Includes two nozzles for any wash job. Choose from the Tornado or Powerspeed (high impact) nozzles. Also features a 5m high-pressure hose for stubborn areas
- Premium Quality: Features aluminum pump, lance and spray gun with storage and quick connection, automatic start/stop, cable storage, foam sprayer and pressure regulation in nozzle
Wilks-USA RX510 Compact Pressure Washer - 135Bar
- 24 months warranty and free customer service team on hand to assist with any queries that you may occur. Our goal is to resolve any problem that might arise.
- Lightweight electric pressure washer, 134 bar (max.), 1800-watt motor delivers the power you need to make short work of cleaning your car, driveway, paving, home, or decking.
- The jet washer RX510 includes the following accessories: 6 nozzles / adapters, patio cleaner, rotating brush, spray gun, straight lance, hose lock, Karcher adapter, lance adapter, variable nozzle, turbo nozzle, angled turbo nozzle, handle fixture, detergent bottle and 5m hose, handle fixture, applicator lance, 2 fixing screws, manual. Guaranteed to leave your outdoor surfaces looking immaculate in no time.
- Lightweight and easy to move thanks to the wheels. Handle and storage on the device. This Jet washer defines what is possible from such a small and compact jet washer.
- The on-board detergent tank simplifies the application of cleaning agents and gives you full control. It is easily filled with any cleaning solution for an extra boost to cleaning performance.
Here’s what you should look for in a mobile pressure washer for bike washing:
- Water tank should be at least 4 litres in size
- Pressure should be between 5 and 25 bar
- The battery life should be at least 3 to 4 minutes.
Most people are probably only familiar with corded pressure washers, which are also used to hose down patios, for example.
However, there are also mobile versions that can be used flexibly and without an annoying power cable. Moreover, most of these devices do not even need a water connection.
Generally, such mobile pressure washers are equipped with their own water tank and a rechargeable battery system. However, we will talk about the special types later. The following criteria are very important for the purchase of a so-called mobile low-pressure cleaner with water tank and battery.
Size of the water tank
The size of the water tank depends largely on how many bikes are to be washed and how dirty they are. A dirty mountain bike logically needs more water than an almost clean city bike.
The Kärcher OC3 has a 4 litre tank, which is exactly enough to clean a dirty mountain bike.
If several bikes are to be cleaned at the same time, it is advisable to carry a separate water tank. It can be estimated that 2 normally dirty bikes can be cleaned with a 4 litre tank.
However, this figure also depends heavily on the device. If the highest cleaning level is always selected, the above data may be scarce. However, if used sensibly, a 4 litre water tank is sufficient for 1 dirty mountain bike or 2 slightly dirty city bikes.
On average, a battery runtime of 3 to 4 minutes is required for bike cleaning. Of course, this can vary depending on how thoroughly the bike is to be cleaned.
However, with modern cleaners you don’t need to worry too much about the battery. This is because such devices usually have a runtime of 15 minutes. They will run out of water first before the battery gives out.
Another advantage is that most manufacturers of mobile high-pressure cleaners use lithium-ion batteries without the annoying memory effect.
If it is also possible to change the battery without using tools, the running time can understandably be doubled or tripled again, etc.
How much pressure
Another criterion is the working pressure of a high-pressure cleaner. This is measured in bar and is an indicator of how strongly the bundled water jet hits an object. If you only want to clean bicycles, a device with a working pressure of approx. 5 to 25 bar is perfectly adequate.
The compact models are offered for just under £100. Floor-standing models with a large water tank start at around £160 and can cost well over £250. Our recommendation is that you go for a branded unit, these often cost a little more than £150 including battery.
Other types of mobile pressure washers
Mobile pressure washers are all those models that do not have a 230 volt power connection. However, there are differences in the water supply. As explained before, some pressure washers have their own water tank, while others are supplied with water in the usual way via a water hose. We would now like to briefly introduce the three main categories of mobile pressure washers.
Battery-powered pressure washer
Battery-operated pressure washers are powered by a powerful rechargeable battery. As already stated, most manufacturers use lithium-ion battery systems. Battery-powered cleaners are offered in different designs.
Initially, nothing is said about the water supply. There are models with and without a water tank.
Models with an integrated water tank are advantageous because they can be used completely self-sufficiently.
Such a cleaning device is ideal for homeowners who have to clean paths and terraces in between. But it can also be used to clean bicycles, garden tools and other objects without any problems. Although the working pressure does not come close to that of corded machines, it is perfectly sufficient for home use.
Petrol pressure washer
If you want to clean large areas with a sufficiently high pressure of more than 250 bar, you might want to consider a petrol pressure washer.
These cleaning machines are usually offered on a trolley. The reason for this is the high dead weight of at least 30 kg caused by the petrol engine.
Even if a powerful petrol engine with an average of 8 hp is working here, these cleaning machines always need a separate water connection. You can connect a petrol pressure washer to an existing water supply system or to a rain barrel.
This means that these machines are not quite as mobile. Likewise, these powerful pressure washers are less suitable for homeowners, but rather for company premises and workshops. You can find more information about these models in our article: Petrol pressure washers
Pressure washer with water tank
An ideal solution for cleaning dirty bicycles or similar tasks is the battery-powered pressure washer with water tank.
Although it only achieves a working pressure of between 5 and 25 bar, this is perfectly adequate for cleaning bicycles and other sports equipment.
The advantage is that the low working pressure does not damage possible bearings and head sets on the bicycle.
Battery-powered cleaners with a tank can also be used on the road. This is useful, for example, if you transport your bike by car and go on a bike tour at your destination. Before you put the bike back on the bike carrier, you can clean it with the low-pressure cleaner. Alternatively, there are more powerful models.
The battery of a mobile high-pressure cleaner
Rechargeable pressure washers are powered by replaceable batteries. One of the great advantages is that you can remove the battery from the pressure washer at any time in just a few steps.
In this respect, you can extend the runtime individually by simply using a charged replacement battery.
Modern pressure washers use the lithium-ion battery system; these are designed for 18 to 40 volts. The volt rating is a characteristic of the nominal voltage. This is the result of individual battery cells connected in series.
A lithium-ion battery usually consists of several 3.6 volt battery cells. A high operating voltage stands for more power.
When it comes to battery life, you should look at the capacity. This is given either in mAh or in Ah.
In short, a high ampere-hour rating means that you can work with your cordless pressure washer all the longer than with a battery with a low ampere-hour rating. The most common pressure washers are equipped with batteries with 2 to 5 Ah capacity. With 5 Ah, this would mean that you can draw one ampere from the battery for 5 hours.
When buying, make sure that at least one battery and of course the charging station are included in the delivery. It may well be that some brand manufacturers do without this because they assume that you already own battery-powered devices from the same manufacturer and therefore do not need the batteries and charger.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of battery-powered pressure washers?
If you can manage with a lower water pressure and want to clean your bike more often as a biker, then a mobile pressure washer with battery operation is the right choice. In conclusion, we would like to present you once again the advantages and disadvantages of these cleaning devices.
- Can be used flexibly without a power cable
- ideal for cleaning bicycles and garden tools
- also suitable for watering flowers
- maximum mobility thanks to integrated water tank
- Also suitable for connection to a water pipe
- Less suitable for cleaning cars
- limited use for cleaning patios and paths
- not always good value for money as the batteries are very expensive