Laser levels are being used more and more by private users. These devices are used especially outdoors.
Thus are: Terrace roofs, conservatories, stone walls, retractable roofs are measured and installed. However, they are still mainly used by companies, as they are not very well known.
Therefore, in this article you will find all the important information you need to know about best outdoor laser levels. Which laser colour is particularly suitable, which IP protection class you need and how you can increase the range.
Top 5 Best Laser Levels for Outdoor use
3 important points for an outdoor laser level
Green lasers | Compulsory for laser levels outdoors?
Green laser light is up to 4 times more visible to the human eye. This is a decisive advantage, especially over long distances. So if you only work on sight, you should definitely opt for a green laser.
On the other hand, if you have to work at distances of 15 metres and more, you will have to use a receiver anyway. These receivers do not care about the colour of the laser, because they work just as well with green or red light. Because, as I said, the colour is only 4 times more visible to the human eye.
However, green lasers have some disadvantages. They are often more expensive to buy and consume more energy. A red laser can be operated for 40 hours, whereas a green laser with the same battery only lasts a few hours.
However, the reason why we recommend a green laser for outdoor use is the sunlight. Sunlight tends to be yellowish to reddish, making it difficult to detect the red laser. Therefore, working with a red laser at dawn and dusk is particularly difficult.
Wind and weather protection | IP protection classification
If you have already dealt with laser levels, you have inevitably come across the IP protection classification. This looks like the following for most models: IP 54.
The second number of the marking is decisive for protection against moisture.
From a number of 3, it can be assumed that the device will not be damaged by rain. A 4, which is indicated on most devices, means that the device is protected from splashing water from all sides.
Drops and shocks | IP protection classification
Most laser levels are small fist-sized devices that tend to fall out of your hand. That is why good cross line lasers have rubber bumpers and a sturdy housing. These cushion the impact and prevent damage to the sensitive laser.
The IP protection classification is also interesting. This describes whether the housing protects against the penetration of foreign bodies of different sizes. The size of the foreign object is the decisive feature. This certification is often equated with a standard that describes the stability of the enclosure. However, this is not the case.
A certification of 1, for example, means that the enclosure protects the interior from contact with the back of a hand. But not if it hits the housing with full force. Most cross line lasers have a certification of 5. You can find this certification with the first number of the IP certification. In our example, it would be 5 from the IP54 certificate. The 5 means that the housing protects the interior from a large amount of dust.
Best Outdoor Laser Level
Bosch Professional Laser Level GLL 3-80 C + Rangefinder GLM 20 (1x battery 12V, red laser, w/app function, working range: up to 30m, in L-BOXX) - Amazon Exclusive Set
- SIMULTANEOUS HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL LEVELLING: Complete parallel work on floors, ceilings, and walls with the 1 horizontal and 2 vertical lines.
- CAL GUARD MONITORING: The Red LED light alerts users to possible calibration errors, which can be viewed in detail using the smartphone app
- SIMPLY CONNECTED: Use the Levelling Remote App, a Bluetooth-connected smartphone app, for remote-control use and contactless adjustment
- RANGEFINDER GLM 20: Measure distances up to 20 m easily with its single-button-use. The GLM 20 holds one measurement while taking another, providing an accuracy of +/- 0,3 mm**.
- ITEMS INCLUDED (Amazon Exclusive): Laser Level GLL 3-80 C, Rangefinder GLM 20, 1x 12V 2.0Ah battery, quick charger, universal mount BM 1, laser target plate, pouch and L-BOXX
DeWalt 2-Way Self-Levelling Ultra Bright Cross Line Laser with DE0892 Detector
- Power: 3x alkaline batteries AA size
- Beam color: Red
- Laser class: 2,
- Measurement accuracy: 0.3mm/m
- Number of bundles: 2
Bosch Professional 12V System Laser Level GCL 2-50 CG (1 battery 12V + Charger, Green Laser, Interior, w/app Function, Mount, Visible Working Range: up to 20m, in L-Boxx)
- ENHANCED VISIBILITY: With green laser technology, the GCL 2-50 CG laser level provides optimal visibility
- SIMPLY CONNECTED: Use the Levelling Remote App, a Bluetooth-connected smartphone app, for remote-control use and contactless adjustment of the laser configuration
- HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL ALIGNMENT: Complete work on floors, ceilings, and walls with the 2 red plumb points, 1x green horizontal, and 1x green vertical line. For highly accurate measuring, the level delivers precise results within ± 0.3 mm/m* for laser lines and ± 0.7mm/m* for plumb points
- DUAL POWER SOURCE: For added flexibility, the laser level can be used with either a 12 V Li-ion battery or standard AA batteries using the additionally available AA1-battery adapter
- ITEMS INCLUDED: Laser level GCL 2-50 CG, 1x battery 12V 2.0Ah, quick charger, RM 2 rotating mount, ceiling clamp, laser target plate, pouch and L-BOXX
DEWALT 2-Way Self Levelling Cross Line Green Beam Laser with Carry Case DW088CG
- Accuracy: +/- 3mm 10m. Self-levelling cross line laser is accurate to 0.3 mm/m in levelling applications
- Full-time pulse mode allows use with detector. Works with DE0892G detector up to the distance of 50 metres
- IP54 - debris/water resistant with over moulded housing and thick glass that protects the tool and helps maintain calibration under jobsite conditions
- Integrated magnetic pivoting base with 1/4" thread for use with tripod the Built in magnetic pivot bracket mounts easily on metal surfaces
- Battery life indicator and includes 3 x AA batteries for 16 hours runtime. Detector compatible - full time pulse 165 feet range
KAIWEETS KT360A Laser Level Green, 3X360° Laser Level, 3D Lines Laser 30M (Up to 60M with Detector) with Self-Levelling Mode, Manual Mode, Independents Windows, 2 Batteries for 40 hours, Magnetic Base
- ✅3x360 ° Line: KAIWEETS KT360A Self-leveling laser level projects 1x horizontal panel and 2x vertical panels(in tatal 12 lines). Parallel alignment on floors, ceilings and walls with one horizontal and two vertical lines. It enables complete coverage of the entire room.
- ✅Visibility Range: Green laser lines for optimal visibility. The green laser line is 4X brightness than the red laser line. With pulse mode allows good visibility outdoors up to 196ft/60m diameter range under 20000lux illuminance (receiver not included).
- ✅Self-leveling: Exact alignment of the device with Osram laser diode. Self-leveling within 4 degrees. 1 button for easy selection of different modes. Guaranteed fast and error-free work thanks to automatic self-leveling in a few seconds. Leveling accuracy: ± 3mm / 10m. Robust housing, IP54 waterproof and dustproof.
- ✅Extremely long working time: With rechargeable lithium batteries to 20 hours with 12 laser lines in one charge. Battery status indicator on the device.
- ✅Delivery: 1X KAIWEETS KT360A, 1X Lithium Battery, 1X Magnetic Holder, 1X Fabric Bag, 1X Type-C Charger, 1X Laser Target Plate, 1X User Manual and lifetime technical support.
Measuring over longer distances | Laser glasses & receiver
If you want to measure something over a distance of more than 15 metres with a laser level, you will quickly notice that this is hardly possible without aids. This is because even green lasers lose visibility at longer distances. This is the case even with professional rotating lasers, but these are usually supplied with a receiver.
This is because the receiver has a sensitive sensor that can detect the laser beam accurately even over long distances. Even if you can no longer see the laser beam with the naked eye.
The second option is to use laser glasses. There are two different types of laser glasses, one for green and one for red lasers.
The laser glasses make the laser line stand out even more to the human eye. By the way, the laser target board works in the same way, only with a board. However, the receiver is the much more professional solution.
If you really want to measure something over long distances, you will quickly reach your limits with conventional laser levels. Here we clearly recommend the use of a rotating laser in combination with a receiver and laser goggles.
Accessories for laser levels in outdoor use
If you have read this article carefully, you will no longer be unfamiliar with the accessories: laser goggles, laser target plate and receiver. Other accessories that further facilitate the use of a laser include a tripod, clamps, remote controls and a storage bag.
The tripod and clamps are usually self-explanatory. Some clamps also have magnets so you can attach them almost anywhere in large structures.
The remote control is rather uninteresting for the normal user. However, if the cross line laser is mounted higher, you can operate it more easily with the remote control. You no longer need to bend or climb a ladder to adjust it.